Coconut and Mango Prawn Salad
This recipe was inspired by an amazing dish at Lakeside Restaurant in Newquay. This was originally served as a starter but for home cooking it works better as a main course as with all the components it can be a bit fiddly. As for most cooking but for this dish in particular preparation is key.
1 pepper (either orange, yellow or red)
½ a cucumber
4 tbs Dessicated coconut
1 Large egg
50g Flour (or roughly enough to coat all your prawns)
250g raw king prawns shelled
100g Salad leaves
Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Finely chop the peppers, cucumber and mango into small cubes. Mix the cubes together and set aside.
- Mix the coconut and the breadcrumbs together.
- Set out a bowl each for the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in a row.
- Roll the prawns in the flour to give them a good covering, followed by the egg and lastly the breadcrumbs.
- Set breaded prawns on a tray or plate whilst you take the rest of the prawns through the breading conveyor belt.
- Fry the prawns in batches until the prawns are cooked and have the breadcrumbs have turned a golden colour. I fry the prawns in our deep fat fryer at 180°C. If you do use a deep fat fryer investing in a basket liner to catch the stray crumbs is a good idea.
- Place salad leaves into serving bowls.
Sprinkle handfuls of the prepared cubes and prawns over the salad.
- Finally, finish of the salad with a dressing of sweet chilli sauce.