These are a great dessert brownie, or actually just anytime brownie. There's many ways of making homemade caramel or dulce de leche but I find the oven the easiest, safest and it's fairly quick too. The marble effect of these brownies makes them beautiful to look at, which is never a bad thing.
Makes up to 16 good size brownies, depending on the cut.
187g unsalted butter
187g dark chocolate
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
250g caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
240 ml homemade caramel (see below)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line a 20 cm (8inch) by 20cm(which is at least 5cm deep) pan with greaseproof paper.
- In a medium pan melt the butter and dark chocolate together over a low heat.
- Keeping an eye on the chocolate and butter, whisk together the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla extract.
- Once the chocolate mixture has melted let cool for a couple of minutes before adding the sugary egg mixture to the pan.
- Fold in flour and salt.
- Pour half of the brownie mix into the pan. Then, using about half of your caramel, dollop spoonfuls of the caramel across the top of the brownie mix.
- Use a knife or a skewer to drag the caramel through the chocolate batter, to create a marble effect.
- Pour the rest of the brownie mix on top of this layer.
- Use the rest of the caramel to decorate the top of your mixture. Using the same technique as before to create a marble effect.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. These brownies are meant to be gooey so don’t be tempted to over cook them.
1 tin Condensed Milk
About 1 litre of hot water
- Heat oven to 220c.
- Pour a tin of condensed milk into a medium baking dish (i use a glass pie dish), cover dish with tin foil.
- Place dish inside an oven tray and fill with warm water until the water is about half way up the sides of the dish with the condensed milk in.
- Cook in the oven for about an hour n half, until golden brown.
- Check every 30 mins, and refill water when needed. When the caramel has turned a golden brown colour, remove from the oven.
- When you take out the oven, uncover the caramel and let cool before stirring it.
- To warm up to spreading temperature either a few quick short blasts in the microwave or more safer place the dish back in a bigger dish filled with hot water for 5-10minutes.